So, it's that time again! Time for a new project life plan. I didn't make any real significant changes in past years, but this year I'm shaking things up a bit more.
I think my title page speaks to a bit of it...
So here are my changes for 2016:
- I am no longer calling my project "project life", it's now our family yearbook (more on that in a bit).
- I'm no longer limiting myself to one template set per year (crazy, I know!).
- I'm going back towards the original PL plan with my weekly spreads. No extra pages, just a two page spread summary of our week. My weeks got too complicated and too big in 2015, I didn't like the flow of them and I lost all motivation to work on them when all of my weeks were turning into obnoxiously long 8-10 page spreads.
- So, the point above might make one think that I'm going against my "scrap all the photos" philosophy of last year, but that's not the case. This is why this is now a yearbook vs. a project life book. Each week will have a project life spread, but behind that spread will be scrapped pages of any photos/events that need more space. My project life page will serve as an index, so to speak. Why do this? Well... this year my weeks got out of control and when they got out of control, they got really weird. For example, in December I had a week (which I haven't posted yet or finished for that matter) where Clara had a dance performance on Friday night where I took lots of photos and then we had a one photo event on Saturday. The flow ended up being a two page spread of dance photos with a random single event photo tacked onto the end. I don't like that. It bugs me. So now, a photo representing the dance performance and the one other event photo will go on the PL page and a spread with the rest of the dance photos will go behind. These extra pages will probably still be pocket pages, but I'll have more freedom with my template choices and I'll get the chance to play with more fun, themed kits. The one thing I need to watch though is keeping these extra pages an even number. If this ends up being a problem, I may split the projects into two... with a PL book and a book of the other pages.
Things that are staying the same:
- I am still printing these as 12x12 photo books from Shutterfly. I will print multiple times a year again. Three times worked well last year, but I might up it to quarterly depending on how many extra pages I'm adding.
- Ideally I would like to pick one template set for the year for the PL spreads in my book (I know I said above that I wasn't going to limit myself, but that was for the book in general, this is for my PL spreads specifically). This was my plan, I even bought a whole new set of templates when they were on sale. I see people using these templates all of the time and I LOVE the look. However, I sat down to use them on my title page and I just. couldn't. do. it. Sigh. It was another case of a style that I admire and love to look at, just not working with the way I scrap. I was having huge internal battles with myself just trying to make a title page... I couldn't do that to myself for a whole year. So, now I'm on the hunt for a new set to use all year (suggestions welcome!). The template I ended up using is one I bought for my extra pages, but it worked well here and buys me some time to find a new year long set.
- I would like to have a set journaling font like I did last year. That worked out really well for me. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I'm going to be using The Sidekick by Heather Joyce. (I tried it out on my title page here)
Hmm... I think that's it! I'm excited to get started and see how this new plan works!