Friday, November 12, 2010

eyes....

I had my eyes opened on Wednesday... Alex and I were waiting on the L platform after his guitar/drums class. I was showing him my big score on my favorite app (Words with Friends)... and he couldn't read it. He made a couple of attempts but never came up with the right number. I tried to dismiss it... the font is tiny, there was a glare from the sun, etc. But I knew that wasn't it. As I continued to think about it, I realized some other things that had happened lately.... my normally voracious reader had read very few books lately.... tending to read more of Clara's larger print chapter books from school versus what he would normally read.... he would always start to read at bedtime but would go on to bed because he was "just too tired to read"... and then we had some school issues (hopefully I'll post more on that on my homeschooling blog).

So, yesterday morning I called and got him in for an eye exam.

Here he is checking out the equipment before his exam....

(he looks like he thinks it's going to attack him, doesn't he?)

Well... he's farsighted, just a bit and the doctor suggested reading glasses. You should have seen the excitement on Alex's face when she put the lenses up for him to look through while reading this card she had handed him. He was so excited that everything was clear again!

So, here's the boy in his new glasses....
I'm so excited for him! Later he talked about how much he has missed books and reading.... he just hadn't really been able to pinpoint the reason why he had stopped reading. Now, since he's had his glasses, he hasn't stopped reading (he has a fairly substantial backlog of books to read). He even took his glasses and book to rehearsal last night and read every chance he got! I'm so happy to have my reader back... and I think he's really glad to be back too!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to pinpoint the problem. Now let the wild reading rhumpus begin!
    (I may have spelled rhumpus wrong, but you get the point)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look lovely on him!

    I didn't realise I needed glasses until I was about 16 because I thought that was how everyone saw. I'm short-sighted, so I just sat up the front of the class to see the board etc and compensated it other ways. I know the relief of finally being able to see properly!

    And his glasses are a lot nicer than the ones I had back then :)

    ReplyDelete