Wednesday, March 22, 2006

what to read, what to read..

I'm trying to decide what to read next... I went a little crazy in the bookstore over spring break so I have a couple to choose from. Any opinions on Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs or The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger? I also have a Carl Hiaasen book to read but it's not real high on my priority list, I just bought it because I found it at the 75% off bookstore.

So, since I've been trying to pick out my next book to read, I've been trying to remember what I've read so far this year... and I'm having trouble. My husband and I are in our third year of our own little book club. Each year at Christmas we each buy two copies of the same book for our club so we can read the same book at the same time. Its been really cool.... I've definitely read some books for our "club" that I never would have read otherwise.

Anyway - here is my list for this year (at least the ones I can remember)...

1. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides - This was for our book club. Last year Jeff picked out Eugenides' book Middlesex and we were both just blown away by it. He is an amazing writer, with very unusual subjects.
2. Lamb by Christopher Moore - this was one of my picks for the book club. I have to start by saying the Christopher Moore isn't for everyone... but I love him! I think this was my fourth book of his (I've also read Fluke, The Island of the Sequined Love Nun and The Stupidest Angel). I really enjoyed this book and so did my husband.
3. The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer - Another book club book picked out by my husband. I'm usually not a big fan of memoirs but this one was incredibly written... I couldn't put it down.
4. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle - Okay... this was my pick... I like to mix in juvenile novels especially if it's a "classic" and I've never read it. My husband and I both struggled through this one... it was one we had to force ourselves to read.
5. Shopgirl by Steve Martin - I picked this up while we were at Disneyland. I enjoyed it and read it in one sitting - however it was while I was hanging out in our hotel room with the flu so I remember very little about it.
6. Hoot by Carl Hiaasen - I had to pick this one up after seeing the preview for the movie when I took the kids to see Curious George. Great read.
7. the perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - Just finished this one a couple of nights ago. Very interestingly written book... the entire thing is a series of letters written to an anonymous recipient by a teen boy. Amazing... very real and with a good message.

Okay... I'm not sure that's everything... but it's all I can come up with at the moment. If I remember any more, I'll add them.

Yikes... I really need to shower and get started on my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment