Thursday, November 08, 2007

check out that attitude...

ahhh... but it's beginning to crack....
it's only a matter of time before she...
bursts into song! She's such a ham.... sigh.

Speaking of the girl... I've been stumped by her in regards to school lately. She is sooo different than Alex. I knew that going in but I hadn't quite figured her out. She's been struggling with math. But in an odd way. She could solve for an unknown in an equation easier than she could do straight simple addition. It just didn't make sense. Then today I found a link to this site about learning styles. And based on this I think Clara is a Concrete Random learner. Thankfully this site gives suggestions on dealing with the different types as well as identifying them. So today for math, I gave up the workbook for her, got out an old box of math flash cards and we made games out them while Alex did his workbook. I think we'll take some time off of the workbook to "play" for a while. Then once I feel she has a good grasp on things, we'll move on in the workbook. I think I'll also start checking out some living math books from the library. I think she will do well in math, we just have to approach things from a different direction with her.

Oh... one more thing about the girl. They found out their song for their tap number in the holiday recital... The Polar Express! It is soooo cute and she LOVES that song. To say that she's excited is a total understatement.

Alex has discovered creating writing and is writing all of the time now. Clara got a Kit doll set from the American Girl Store for her birthday. In the set was the book, Meet Kit. We've been reading it aloud at bedtime. In the book Kit writes her own newspaper for her dad to read when he gets home. Alex thought that was a great idea, so he has been writing newspaper articles for Jeff. It's pretty exciting to watch him get so excited about writing.

This month I got the pleasure of interviewing the fabulously talented Caroline Ikeji for Inside the Scrapper's Playhouse on DiScTalkRadio... well, the interview is up on the site if you want to take a listen.

Okay... time to get back to school!

1 comment:

  1. She is too funny!... Love the glimpse of her personality(ies).. hehe..

    You are such a great homeschooler! I think it's awesome that just because there's been a curve in learning styles, you do all you can to go w/ the flow & find something that works.. Such a great mom! :)

    ReplyDelete