Monday, October 10, 2011

another book post...

Last Wednesday I ventured into a new section at the library.... teen...
The blog I got the idea about a weekly book post from recommended this book last week. And I was in luck that our library happened to have a copy.

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

The main reason I went looking for it, is that the blogger said in her review that this was what Suzanne Collins aspired to when she wrote the Hunger Games series. Alex and I are big fans for the Hunger Games series (well... at the least the first two books... third one, not so much), so I decided to see if I thought this was true.

It didn't grab me at first, but once it did... I couldn't put it down. I started it Wednesday night and had it finished by Friday evening. The main characters are Todd and his talking dog, Manchee (all creatures can talk in the New World). He lives in a town of all men, as all of the women were killed by a "germ" released by the natives on the planet. There are no secrets on the new planet as everyone can hear the thoughts of men ("noise"). Because of the lack of secrets, Todd has not been told the truth about the true history of their town (for fear that he would not be able to control his thoughts and the secrets would be revealed in his "noise") and he discovers it bit by bit throughout the book.

The action in the book is intense. And there is a bit of language. I think Alex could handle the violence in the book (although one part, in particular, got to me), but I don't think I'll have to make that determination just yet as he's started another book that he's in the middle of. I would also like to read the rest of the series first before I gave him the green light. I'm frantically hunting down the next book... I have put in a request at the library for the actual paper version, the Kindle version and the ebook version! The ending is a total cliffhanger, so I have GOT to know what happens next!

1 comment:

  1. Jocelyne12:01 AM

    Thanks for pointing this one out. I'll be checking it out for sure!

    ReplyDelete