Saturday, October 29, 2011

the meaning of life...

I'm way behind on posting again... sorry!

Alex is part of an audition in theater group. As part of this young ensemble, they work on two major shows per year. In the fall they typically work on writing original works and in the spring they do an adaptation. Last spring they did Phantom Tollbooth and James and the Giant Peach (Alex was in James). This fall they gave the kids a list of several books they were considering for the spring adaptations. We had already read several of them, but there were a few that we hadn't read. Alex picked Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life from the list and decided to read it (he likes to read all of the books that they choose from). With some help from our favorite librarian, we tracked down the book (it was waiting on a reshelving cart) and Alex started on it. He loved it! And he insisted that I read it too once he was done.

I have to say that I really enjoyed it as well. It reminded me a lot (in premise) of the book Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. Jeff and I had read that book several years ago as part of our book club that we do (just the two of us). In Extremely Loud, the boy, Oskar, has a key that his father left behind and the book follows his search to find the lock for the key. In this book, the boy, Jeremy, has a box with four locks that is left to him by his father, but has no keys. In this book you follow Jeremy and his friend, Lizzy, on their quest to find the keys and to find out the meaning of life. They meet many different people throughout their quest, each with their own ideas about the meaning of life. Alex and I had some really good discussions after we both had read it.

I love that reading and a passion for books is something we share. He's currently blazing through another book that he's insisting that I read when he's done... I can't wait! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment