Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Project Life 2014: Week 38

 Still avoiding week 37, so we're moving on to week 38...

This week contained an interesting PL dilemma for me.  I was still running a bit behind when I did this one.  I had placed the photos about Clara running for class representative and had most of the page done when they had the elections and she did not win.  At this point I wasn't sure what to do.  Should I take them out and pretend it never happened or leave it alone?  As you can tell, I decided to leave it alone in this particular case.  Clara was totally fine after the elections (she was running against one of her best friends and they knew it could really go either way) and she was proud of the posters that she had made.  A week before, Alex had a somewhat similar situation which I handled completely differently.  One of the main reasons Alex picked the high school that he did, was because of their robotics team.  He has been obsessed with being part of it from day one.  Well... in previous years they pretty much took everyone because it was just starting up, but this year they had a huge turnout for the informational meetings and had to do try-outs to narrow down the 70+ applicants to around 20 team members.  This was all Alex wanted.... and he did not make it.  He was devastated.  It really hit him hard, so there is no mention of it on the pages for week 37 (oh wait... I haven't actually done those yet, but I have no intention of including this).  Each of these situations is different in regards to the emotions around the event.  Alex's try-outs aren't going to be on a page because things were a little raw... I included Clara's prep and posters on this week's pages because she was proud of those, but I didn't bring up the fact that she lost on the following week's pages.  I guess that's the interesting thing about working current... it's harder to censor what you're including.  If prep for some event is a big part of your week, it gets included, even if the outcome in the next week or two isn't what you were expecting.  If I would work with a bit of a delay, I could better control what does and doesn't get included.  Being current is important to me, so I'll just have to keeping working on finding the right balance.  I don't want to make everything seem shiny and perfect in my books, because life isn't, but I also don't want to include painful things that would make me children not want to look through these books in the future.

On a happier topic... take a peek at the top right corner of the first page!  Yep... that's my book for the first half of the year!  I'm totally in love with it and I can't wait to do a post about it! (right after I finish week 37... sigh)

No comments:

Post a Comment