Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I won't grow up!

okay... so I have already... but I will always have a special fondness for juvenile fiction.

Here's the stack of books currently on my nightstand...

The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry
Alex had book club last night at the library and this is the book they will be reading for December.  I decided to just pre-read a bit before bed.  Well... I ended up finishing it!  I wasn't sure about it at first... so many reviews on Amazon had compared it to The Series of Unfortunate Events series (which although I enjoyed that series, I wasn't up for another book like it).  But it was a good story with a good, happy ending.  I'm curious to see what Alex thinks of it.

I had chosen Little House in the Big Woods as our last read aloud for school.  While we were reading it, the kids discovered that it was part of the Little House series of books.  When we finished Little House in the Big Woods, they insisted on continuing on with the series.  Farmer Boy was next.  I've discussed this with a friend, but was Farmer Boy always part of the Little House series?  My third grade teacher read the whole series aloud to us and I don't remember this book.  I only remember the books about Laura's life.  Alex is really getting into it as Almonzo is basically Alex's age.  It's pretty eye opening for him to see what was expected of a boy his age during that time.  Anyway... it's on my nightstand because I *needed* to know what happened next.  I think you can see the two bookmarks... the first one is our read aloud stopping point and the second is my bookmark.  :-)

I haven't started this one yet.  Alex checked it out from the library after we saw the movie preview when we went to see High School Musical 3.  He just finished it last night and immediately brought it up to me... insisting that I read it too.  Well.... twist my arm!  :-)  I'll start it after I finish Farmer Boy.

Other than a slightly out of control book obsession.... all is well here.  I haven't blogged much because I believe that blog posts should have photos and I have taken no photos lately.  We just haven't done anything particularly photo worthy.  I had intended on having my Christmas card photo shot by now, but I haven't even put much serious thought into it.  Maybe I'll make an attempt when we're in Missouri next week.  I had hoped to be more on the ball so I'm not sending out cards the week of Christmas AGAIN this year!  

Thankfully today we're staying home all day!  Although Clara does have a friend coming over for a playdate this afternoon.  They usually go over to each other's house after dance on Mondays but with their performance being this weekend their teacher has been keeping them late... too late for a playdate afterwards on a weeknight.

Okay... I'm off to check math work!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:28 PM

    I just discovered your blog today! I came to this one via your homeschool blog. Anyway, I just wanted to say I am right there with you and LOVE children's lit :)

    ReplyDelete