Saturday, February 10, 2007

One Fine Day

That's the name of an article that runs in the Chicago Tribune every Saturday.... it outlines "one fine day" from breakfast to dinner in and/or around the city. We were intrigued by last week's article so we cut it out and today we made our own attempt at "one fine day".

We didn't do it all, in fact, we only did one thing, but it took us into a neighborhood we haven't explored much, Wicker Park. We had lunch at Piece, and let me tell you, it was really good pizza. After lunch we headed to our "one fine day" destination.... Brainstorm Movies, Comics and Gaming. The writer of the article mentioned that he takes his preschool age son there and that the owners are great to point out age appropriate comics. I have to say that it was an incredible experience... one of the owners, Robert (I think) was so incredibly helpful, greeting us the second we walked through the door... he helped explain the different series that were available for Alex's age and even read portions to him to get him excited about the stories. We're just looking for different, fun ways to get and keep Alex excited about reading.... he's ready for more complex story lines but still gets bogged down in chapter books. Hopefully, its working because he took the comics to bed with him so he could read them. An added bonus was that while we were there, the man who wrote the article came in with his son! So we chatted just a bit and thanked him for the great suggestion! Oh... Jeff and I bought a comic book too... LOL! A couple of years ago Jeff and I read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay for our book club that we do each year. In the book the two main characters write comic books featuring a character called the Escapist. Well... after Jeff mentioned the book to the owner, he showed us the comic book The Escapist based on the book! So, of course we had to get it. It was a great time, and we definitely plan on going back.

Nothing much going on here. I took my camera with me today but it was so cold out that I hated even taking my hands out of my pockets, let alone take off my gloves so I could use my camera. I'm ready for some warmer weather!

Okay... I'm heading to bed!

'nite!

ETA: I almost forgot... if you or someone you know is interested in comic books or would just like to see what it's all about, May 5th is Free Comic Book Day at lots of participating comic shops around the country!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like everyone had a great time! And how neat to meet the writer of the article too!

    ReplyDelete