Thursday, February 15, 2007

what a fabulous day!!!

My goodness... we had a great day today!! I love homeschooling every day (okay... most days) but today was just an amazing day. We decided to take advantage of the free admission special that the Art Institute is offering until the 21st of February. I thought we would spend an hour or two and come home. I didn't figure it would hold Alex and Clara's attention for more than that. Boy, was I wrong! We got there around 11 and didn't leave until after 4!! They only agreed to leave because they were getting tired and only if I promised that we would come back again next week while it was still free. They had an absolutely incredible time. They wanted to know everything... they wanted to read every description of every piece of art. We spent longer in one section of the ancient Egyptian artifacts than any adult did. The kids politely asked questions of the museum staff and were given incredible descriptions on everything from armor to artwork. AND... they were complemented on their behavior often (which is always nice for a mom). Clara did have a hard time not handling the ropes that ran around the perimeter of the rooms... which sent security personnel our direction quite often.

I honestly can't wait to go again! After leaving the Art Insitute we went to the art supply store so we could buy sketch pads for each of us. There were a lot of students from the art institute sketching at various locations around the museum... the kids wanted to try their hand at it when we go back.

I didn't take many pics because I had my 85mm on and I just couldn't get the shots I wanted. Next time I'll put my 50mm on and see if that helps... I just need something that I can shoot pretty wide open since flash is not allowed.

On to the pics...The kids trying their hand at writing Chinese characters.

This is how they spent quite a bit of their time... sitting in the middle of the floor of some gallery, looking through their guidebook, deciding which piece of art to see next. See the ropes... those are the ones Clara couldn't keeps her hands off of.

***

Isn't it overwhelming to stand in the presence of great works of art? I felt completely unworthy to be standing there in front of works of art that most people only see on postcards and in coffee table books.


***Just a parting photo with the lion. I'll have to try this one again next week. I forgot to change the aperture after shooting inside... the lion is in focus but the kiddos are blurry.

'nite!

6 comments:

  1. What a cool experience! How wonderful that your kids loved it so much too. That last shot of the lion cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun! I'm a homeschooled senior this year!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! Sounds like the kids definitely enjoyed & learned a lot at the museum..

    We used to go to this museum quite often when I was in HS.. it is definitely an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like you all had a good time. i took my kids to the aquarium up there and they loved it. have to see if they want to try the art museum next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chicago has wonderful museums! My mom grew up there so we would trek thru the museums every summer as a child- great memories! It shows what a great mom and teacher you are to give them such experiences- you have me inspired!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have inpired me to find something like this around here!!!
    What a fun place! I am so glad that the kids had a wonderful time there. I can't wait to see more photos from your next visit!!!
    How are you guys adjusting to the cold weather?
    Tina

    ReplyDelete