Friday, January 07, 2011

back on the ice...

Yesterday was a good day... but got a little crazy about the time Clara got out of school. She had an orthodontist appointment right after school so they could take impressions for her official retainer on top. (I took a photo at her appointment with my phone.... that may end up being my photo of the day... still thinking though). But, at the same time, Alex's sports class was meeting again. It's usually only once a week, but since they're preparing for a tournament later in the month, they had an extra class. The tournament is a wrestling tournament! Alex is so excited! Wrestling is a big deal at the camp he goes to in the summer... they have a big tournament for "tribal points" that everyone participates in. However, they've never really taught them how to wrestle. He was thrilled when he found out that this was the sport this month so he could learn a little more before camp. So, we got one of our favorite babysitters and off he went to class while I went to the orthodontist with Clara.

Everything went well with Clara (15 minutes... in and out).... and we were off to her dance class (Alex and the sitter were meeting us there later). We ended up catching an express train that didn't stop again until we got to our stop! We made it down into the loop in about 5 minutes!! That gave her plenty of time to change and eat her salad she had picked out as a snack. Plus she got to hang out with her friends. They were all giggly yesterday.... they have a post-Nutcracker slumber party tonight and they had plans to make :-)

We were supposed to meet friends to skate last night.... but with the temperature and the fact everything was going to be pushed back due to Alex's class, we didn't end up meeting. Alex was hungry after all of his wrestling, so we went out to dinner with a couple of the moms from class. He was re-energized after that and asked if he could still go skate. Sure, why not? So we walked over to Millennium Park for a little bit of skating.

I was playing around with our little point and shoot camera and decided to try some without flash...
.... Alex loves all of the "ghost people" in this one.

A close-up of Alex coming to see me....
Him skating by....
And finally an attempt at a non-flash photo of him....
.... he's not as sharp as I would like.... but I really like how it turned out. You lose so much of the "story" when you use flash sometimes. I like how in this one, you see not only Alex, but the buildings and the other skaters. I love the feeling of movement from the blurs of the skaters going by.

I think my next present to myself might be a better point and shoot. The one I use now is a freebie Jeff got at a trade show years ago. With this photo a day project, I want to try to always have a camera on me and it can't always be my big camera. I don't need it to do anything fancy.... I would just like a little higher quality image. I do have some money coming my way... I came in second in our fantasy football league this year :-) Maybe I should go poke around on amazon to see what I can find!

No comments:

Post a Comment