Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

One of the perks of living in the city is being able to decide (on a whim) to hop on the L and attend the St. Patrick's Day parade downtown (about an hour before it is supposed to begin). We got down there without any problem but the crowd was pretty deep along the parade route. Below is a sample of my view of the parade...

Yes... I know I usually angle my pictures but this was also enhanced by having a nearly 7 year old boy hanging off of my back. I put the camera away and just enjoyed the sea of heads before me and the occasional glimpse of the parade.

We were on our way back to the L when look who strolled up... you can't really tell since his hood is up but that's Alex giving Tony the Tiger a big "high 5".

Then we took a stroll through Millenium Park. This thing is so cool... I will *have* to bring the kids down there on a week day so we can play when there aren't so many people around.

Then we walked over to see if the river was green. The kids were so excited because it was green... didn't have the heart to tell them that it was just the normal green tint the river has... not the St. Patrick's Day dyed green.

So now we're home... waiting for our guests to arrive. I made Corned Beef and Cabbage and attempted some Irish Soda bread. Hope at least some of it is edible!

Have a good one!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:22 PM

    Tracie, I got some info from my sister re Lyon. I first must translate it and will post it on your blog tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notice a trend here...
    ..you have guest for dinner quite often! :) You're braver than I am.
    It looked cold on Parade day.
    It was SO busy in our little city that the restaurants were packed and even the show we wanted to see was sold out!lcmxchai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:25 AM

    - "Musee de Beaux-Arts" museum, place des Terreaux (on this place you will also find the beautiful “Hotel de Ville”, and at the back the “Opera”).
    - Go down the “rue Edouard Herriot” street until “Place Bellecour”: in that street + “rue Emile Zola” + “Place des Jacobins” + Place des Celestins” you will find the best shops from Lyon (and expensive too, especially with the USD/EUR rate!!!). But you must see it. It is very typical of Lyon.
    - From there you can go on one of the bridges to go over the Saône river to get to:
    - Le “Quartier Saint-Jean”, with its cathedral, the “Traboules” which are all the small streets with some of them going as arches under buildings (very typical) and the “Bouchons Lyonnais” (typical restaurants from Lyon. It’s one of the best towns in France to eat).
    - From there, take the funiculaire to reach the “Cathedrale de Fourvière”, which you can visit and from which you have the best view over Lyon (a must). You can even see the alps and sometimes the Mont Blanc in case of good weather (highest point in Europe: 4807metres high).
    - Art Moder museum at the “Cite Internationale” and a park: “Parc de la Tête d’Or”.

    Tell me which hotel you will be staying at so that we can see what’s in the area. Let me know if any of this is unclear. I hope this helps.Sorry I cannot find your email. I will go and post on the other board too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Look at all those cool buildings! I'm a sucker for downtown city life. I will have to move downtown (Memphis) when all my kids move out! I guess that's one benefit to homeschooling - you don't have to live where the good schools are! Awesome photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun Tracie...you've got to be loving Chicago!! =)

    ReplyDelete