Wednesday, October 03, 2007

learning to let go....

Let me just start by saying that we are not unschoolers... I have no problem with unschooling, its just not for us (I need some structure or I wouldn't get anything accomplished)... but I am learning to let go of our curriculum a bit and let some learning just "happen". Right now is a perfect example of this.... we're not doing our scheduled work right now and it's making me a bit twitchy.... BUT Alex came up to me a little while ago and said the he and Clara had been talking and they would like to write a book about what they've learned so far this year through our schoolwork and field trips. So... as much as I wanted to say "no" and show them the list of things we needed to get through today... I said "yes" and walked away. They are currently sitting in the floor in pile of our school books, writing their book. They got out their dictionary and they're looking up the words they need help spelling... they're referring to their books for help with their illustrations... a wonderful review of what we've covered so far that no test could duplicate. So, I'm letting it happen... although I'm a little twitchy and have visions of "to do" lists in my head... but I'm letting go just a bit and letting it happen.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:34 AM

    I think what your doing is great! We homeschool also and if we had access to all those great activities we would choose the same route of learning. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:29 AM

    I used to teach at an elementary school, and sometimes you just HAVE to go with it, even in the most structured environments. They created a perfect activity for themselves... no guilty conscience needed!

    ReplyDelete