Thursday, June 14, 2007

more from wrigley field

Just some more photos from last night.
Does that give you any idea as to how early we got there?? LOL! We were there by 6:00 for a 7:05 start.


Embracing the sun flare.

Don't you just love those yellow/orange lights? That's the way they really are. The crazy thing is that they neutralize other colors so my red camera bag looked grey. And so did the little red dot on my lens that you use to line it up when changing lenses. I decided to change lenses on the platform and it nearly drove me INSANE trying to line it all up since my red dot had completely disappeared (okay, it hadn't, but it was grey and I wasn't expecting it to be grey).
I took two lenses last night.... my 20mm 2.8 and my 85mm 1.8. My 20mm is really beginning to grow on me. To be honest, I hated it the first time I took it out... I was nearly sick with disappointment. I bought it to be my wide angle lens for our Paris trip and I *thought* I had researched it thoroughly enough... sigh. Maybe it was just first use panic, user error and questionable subjects... who knows. Actually, here are two of the things I learned... 1) I'm so used to longer focal lengths and tighter shots... meaning that I'm used to a subject dominated shot with not a lot of "junk" in the picture. It was hard for me to get used to wide shots and getting closer than I thought I should be. 2) I've stopped using the lens wide open at 2.8... I shot at 3.5 last night at least most of the time. I currently LOVE this lens. It, by no means, is going to become my everyday lens but it was perfect for last night. I was able to photograph my kids as they sat right next to me in the stands. Loved that.

A fun thing about photography at Wrigley Field is that there doesn't seem to be any restrictions... except that your bag must be of a certain size that will fit under your seat. I took my Crumpler bag with my 20d body and two lenses and had absolutely no problem going through security. Next time I'm going to try my 20mm 2.8 again and my 70-200mm 2.8L. I have nothing really usable of anything going on on the field... but that really wasn't my focus... this time. It was more to capture my kids' first trip to the ball park.

Okay... the kids are in art project mode... so I've got to run!

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:24 PM

    Girl I love those pictures!! Awesome job! And looks like the lens def. grew on you!! my current lens is the 17-55 f2.8 lens and i too had a problem with the too much in the picture syndrome...mine hasn't gone a way though...I still want the big zoom....maybe one day!! :) But it is way awesome to get shots of things so close isn't it!! :)

    ReplyDelete