Monday, June 25, 2007

ugh...

my little girl got her feelings hurt today :-( If you've been reading my blog you know that last week we were told that her body mass was too high (actually right on the dividing line between normal and too high) and we would have to do some blood work. So, her weight has been a sensitive issue in our house between my husband and I but Clara was unaware of our concern. We worked out a plan to change our diets so that we , as a family, would eat healthier versus micro managing her meals. Well... today she became aware and it nearly brought me to tears. She was a little down after camp today and I finally got her to tell me why. One of the girls in the camp pulled Clara's friend aside, pointed at Clara and said "look at her big fat belly", right in front of Clara. She was so profoundly sad and on the verge of tears. For crying out loud... she's FIVE!!! She shouldn't have to be dealing with body issues at this age! She's never thought twice about her size or shape before.... that is until now. She's always since day one had a "belly", it has just been her shape. She's a good eater who eats more veggies in a meal than her stick thin brother will eat in a week. We don't drink anything other than water in our house and sweets are very limited. We walk EVERYWHERE (20 blocks just today) and she's in dance and gymnastics. The doctor said that this may just be her body type... which is fine by me... I love her baby face and the fact that she's so squeezable... LOL! But what mom thinks doesn't matter as much as a random comment made by some random little girl at camp. Ugh... that's about the only word I can think of to describe how I feel.


Okay... so the layout I posted yesterday... I uploaded it to the CK website this morning and within an hour or so it was on the front page under "featured layouts"....
so, now I'm thinking that the featured layouts are just a randomly generated thing... perhaps it automatically shows the last layout you uploaded and I've never noticed it before. So, although it was fun to believe my Mayfest layout was chosen the other day... I'm thinking it's just a random thing and really doesn't mean anything! LOL!

Okay... the washer is beeping... time to put laundry in the dryer!

'nite!

4 comments:

  1. OOOOh, that's just mean! Its so frustrating how cruel kids can be. Well, I think your little girl is beautiful just as she is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:58 PM

    Oh, Tracie, my heart just hurts for her, and for you. I know what a sweet girl she is, and I CAN'T BELIEVE she's already having to go through this. This kind of thing keeps me awake at night, worrying about when we will have to deal with it. Ugh. You're right. It's the only (nice) word I can think of to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:12 AM

    Of all the photos we've seen of Clara I have never once thought of her as anything but a completely normal (albeit very cute and pretty!) little girl. This body image thing is ridiculous when they start making comments so young... Good on you for having the whole family on healthy food. I totally admire you, because sometimes it's not easy, especially with all the delicious convenience food you have in your country!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe, I'm sorry to hear about Clara's camp incident.. breaks my heart to think of a 5 year old feeling such a way... Hugs to you both..

    ReplyDelete