Tuesday, August 28, 2007

catching my breath...

Wow! The past couple of days have been crazy with activity!! Yesterday we spent most of the day either going to, being at or coming home from the Garfield Park Conservatory. We went to see the Niki in the Garden exhibit again with my friend and her daughter. I took lots of kid pics, but I'm too tired to edit them so here are a couple of non-kid pics... lol...


We rushed home in order to make it to Clara's gymnastics class. We were a couple minutes late so I scooted her in the door and ran back out to drop off a couple of books that were due at the library just around the corner. When I came back in, I looked at her in her class and thought that she looked so much taller than her classmates and that I didn't recognize the other girls. Well... perhaps that was because the new fall session started yesterday and that really wasn't her class... it was the class for the next younger group... sigh. When I realized what I had done, I asked if they wanted me to pull her out, but they said she was fine and that they would just see us again the next day for her "real" class.

After gymnastics we stopped in for the registration for fall dance at the studio that we went to camp at this summer. To figure out her class placement, the owner took her out into the hall and ran through some things with her. When he came back in, he started talking to the guy that was doing our registration about how Clara would be good as an "angel". I had no clue what they were talking about... maybe that was the "name" of her class or a potential role for their Christmas recital. Well... before I could wonder too long, they pulled out the information and asked if Clara would like to be an angel in their upcoming production of the Great Russian Nutcracker with the Moscow Ballet. I was completely overwhelmed so I just took the paperwork and went home to talk to Jeff. This is a HUGE commitment so I wanted to really think about it. Well... we thought about it, and we're going for it. It's going to be tough on her, but she's soooo excited! She loves the Nutcracker... that's something that her and her dad do together each Christmas... go to some event relating to the Nutcracker. This year, she'll be in it. BUT, she's the youngest cast member (so far, all of the other girls are 7 and up... Clara's five - turning 6 in October) and she will have 4 hours of dance class and rehearsal every Saturday for 10 weeks. But she is sooooo excited... she talks about it constantly... so here we go!

Today we went with our homeschool group to see the cool globes on display along the lakefront. However, it was so hot that we didn't make it through very many of them before we used our memberships and went to the Shedd Aquarium (where it was nice and cool) instead. The kids and I stayed for a bit before we had to head back toward home for Clara's REAL gymnastics class.

Here are a couple of globe pics...


Kate - thank you so much for the complements about my Cirque Shanghai pics... I love when people post comments, if for no other reason but to know that people actually read my blog... LOL! For those pictures I used my 85 mm 1.8. We were in row F (so the sixth row from the stage)... so I didn't need a zoom, plus I didn't feel like carrying one. And not knowing what the lighting would be like, I wanted the fastest lens that I had. Lighting was fabulous for an event like this.... it was basically outdoors under white awnings (top and sides)... so it was bright, but not bright, if you know what I mean. I shot in manual, I can't remember what I metered off of though (there's a good chance it was the grey concrete floor). Thankfully there was enough light that I didn't have to shoot wide open, so I had my aperture set at 2.8 (I think). I just shut PS so I don't have my file info in front of me right now, but I can look it up tomorrow, if you would like. Please let me know if you have more questions... I'll be happy to answer them the best that I can.

Okay... with that.. I'm heading to bed!! Tomorrow is a "stay-at-home-day" and I just can't wait!!!

'nite!

No comments:

Post a Comment