Sunday, August 05, 2007

grrrrrrr.......... comcast

Oh... how do I hate comcast... let me count the ways....

We thought it would be a great thing to have our cable, internet and phone all from one company. It has been nothing but a disaster!!! Our cable is perfect... it's never out. However, the internet and phone have been an absolute nightmare!!!! And the worst part is that Comcast claims that there's nothing wrong. I can't stay connected to the internet for more than 10-20 minutes at a stretch and with the phone, I have resorted to using my cell since whoever I'm talking to can only hear me about 50% of the time... and that's provided that the phone is working at all. Currently it is not... there is no dial tone... my message light is blinking for the voicemail but I can't dial in to voicemail. They're slowly driving me insane!!!!!!!

Okay... moving on...

we had a good week(end)... I didn't take many pics though. Thursday a friend of mine from Texas and her kids came into the city to see us. They moved to the 'burbs here at the same time we moved! We spent the morning at the Lincoln Park Zoo and then once we got too hot we grabbed some lunch and hung out here while the kids played. Friday we spent the afternoon at the pool in Skokie with friends.... the kids had a blast. After the pool we had pizza at their house and while the parents sipped adult beverages the kids apprently wrote a play... it was really cute!

Saturday we finally returned to our garden plot. We hadn't been in a while... due to travel and another, larger reason. As I have mentioned before... our garden plot is in a former basketball/tennis court in Cabrini-Green. While it was rough around there... it never felt dangerous. Well... while we were in Michigan we got an email about increased security measures at the garden after increased gang violence in the neighborhood. Specifically gunfire exchanges between the two buildings that border the garden. Apparently... one of the cars of one of the gardeners was hit by a bullet on a Saturday during the middle of the day. We were asked to park away from the garden and come in a gate opposite the buildings... the children's programs were suspended due to safety threats. At first I was angry... angry that we weren't going to be able to go back to our garden.... I mean the kids and I used to take the L there and walk right past these buildings! But then after sitting there... I got angry about the kids from the neighborhood who used to come to the garden to play and attend the programs.... this was their safe place and now even it wasn't safe anymore. Again, these kids were rough around the edges... but they were good kids who our kids loved playing with when we visited. I felt bad for being mad about my not being able to go to the garden while sitting safely in my house while those kids were in the midst of this, listening to gunfire out their windows.

Saturday... we put things in perspective and returned with our kids to the garden. According to the other gardeners... things have died down and its back to "business as usual". There were no kids there other than ours so I'm assuming the programs have not resumed yet. Our tomato plants were totally out of control so we tried to contain them with stakes and twine. We pulled about 8 or 9 carrots and trimmed tons of basil which I brought home. It felt good to be back.

Here are some pics of our goodies from the garden....

Oh wow... it's getting late! I need to get to bed! Alex's first day of camp is tomorrow and we can't be late!

Crap... internet is out again... maybe it'll be back in a sec.

'nite!

No comments:

Post a Comment