Wednesday, January 03, 2007

resolutions, recipes and a request

Okay... so one of my resolutions this year is to cook more. With Jeff's crazy travel schedule last year I fell into a really bad habit of not cooking "real" meals. Now that we're eating dinner as a family every night I decided that it was a good time to start cooking meals again. Since the kids have class until 5:15 tonight, I thought it was a good night for a crockpot meal. So here's what we're having...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chinese Style Country Ribs

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Crockpot Pork

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup orange marmalade
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 clove garlic -- minced
4 pounds spareribs, country style

Combine soy sauce, marmalade, ketchup and garlic.

Brush on both sides of ribs.

Place in slow-cooker.

Pour remaining sauce over all.

Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.

***********

Do you see that "exported from mastercook" message at the top? Mastercook was one of my birthday presents this year. I love that program. I had it years (and several computers) ago. It was a great way to keep all of my recipes organized and it was a cinch to share recipes with people when they requested them. I used to print the recipes out and put them in a binder... but now that my computer is in the kitchen, I don't think I'll print them out... just pull them up on the computer and just read it from the screen.

Okay... now on to my request.... since we'll be doing a crockpot meal every Wednesday... I would love to try some new recipes if anyone has any favorites they would like to share. Thanks!

Well... I guess I should get moving today! Later!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:13 AM

    what sides are you doing? and what exactly are country style ribs?

    it sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you need to get the book Fix It and Forget It-it has many great recipes! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:14 PM

    I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one with a resolution to cook more often! I copied this recipe and am anxious to try it out...sounds like just the type of food my husband would love!!

    TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:51 PM

    Tracie that sounds lovely. This one is not crockpot (I love crockpots btw) but I found it really handy with the kids...
    Chicken and Spinach Risotto
    2tsp olive oil, 2 tsp mincd garlic, 360g chicken fillet or tenderloin, cut into bite sized pieces, 10g butter, 1 onion finely chopped, 1 1/2 cups arborio rice, 100ml white wine, 4-5cups simmering chicken stock (can make with 4-5 stock cubes and hot water, or buy ready made in tetra pak), 4 handfuls baby spinach, stalks trimmed, 1/2 tsp lemon zest to garnish...
    1. Heat olive oil in pan, add garlic and chicken and brown and cook through. Remove and keep warm while cooking the rest of the risotto.
    2. Add butter to the same pan and cook the onion until soft. Add rice and cook until translucent. Add the wine (100mls is not much, I don't know, maybe you could drink the rest later?!) and stir until absorbed by the rice. Add 1 cup of hot stock and stir slowly until absorbed, then add antoher cup. Continue to stir and add stock one cup at a time until rice is tender. This will take about 20mins (sounds like hard work, but actually isn't so bad).
    3. Stir through the baby spinach until wilted. Fold in the chicken and serve topped with lemon zest.

    sounds involved, but its actually not, its fun and really tasty and kids and adults alike seem to like it. Its also very low fat and healthy. You can change the meat and improvise other ingredients once you have the hang of it. Hope you like! ~meg

    ps its from a book called "pure Taste"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:38 PM

    My mother in law gave me this recipe a couple years ago and it is to die for.....

    SLOW COOKED ITALIAN BEEF

    One 3-4 pound Sirloin Tip or Rump Roast
    One 14-16 oz. jar mild giardinara, drained
    One 14-16 oz jar pepperoncini, drained (less if you do not like spicy)
    One 10 oz can of College Inn Beef Broth
    One packet dry Good Seasoning Italian dressing

    Place roast in large crock-pot. Add all ingredients and cook on low for 18 (yep - 18! Though I've done 12 and it's been just fine) hours. Towards end pull meat apart with a fork, it will fall apart very easily. Serve on French bread.

    ReplyDelete