Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Strangers with Candy

I know this is probably the first of many, but I had my first strange/creepy city encounter (since our return to Chicago) today on the el platform. A little background... we get on the el at the stop by our house, ride to the next stop, change lines at that stop and then get off at the very next stop. When we got on the el at our stop I noticed this guy who kept looking at the kids, this same guy also got off at the next stop when we did (not a huge deal since this is a transfer point for those lines... lots of people transfer). While waiting on the platform the guy kept looking at the kids, it was beginning to creep me out... THEN he walked up to me and asked "do you mind if I give them some candy?". Ummm... heck ya I mind! I don't know you!!! I was polite and thanked him for asking but it probably wasn't a good idea since we were on our way to class (it was the only excuse I could come up with at that time). He said it was no big deal and that was why he asked me instead of the kids. He did have an unopened bag of individually wrapped candies that he was carrying. He could have been a totally legit, nice guy, but I still find the whole thing rather strange. Time to have the stranger talk with the kids.... AGAIN... sigh.

The kids enjoyed their classes again today. One of the little girls in Clara's dance class asked her to come over for a playdate. The mom gave the standard... "oh wouldn't that be fun, but the mommies will have to talk about it next week at class" response. I'm hoping it goes through though... Clara is really desperate for a friend. Alex just likes to be around other kids... it can be different ones every time he just likes to play, but Clara craves an actual "friend".

Coming home we almost made it, we managed to successfully skate our way across icy sidewalks, jump over big slushy puddles, etc.... UNTIL we got right in front of our place... Clara was skipping/running to the gate, tripped over a bump in the sidewalk and landed on her face on the concrete. You should have heard her scream.... I was honestly scared to turn her over (she was just lying there face down on the sidewalk). I was having flashbacks from when she was about 1 1/2 and she did something similar but her teeth cut through her lips. Thankfully all that she did was scrape the skin off of her nose (the entire length of it). She looked at herself in the mirror after I cleaned it up and announced that it looked like a bee hive. Ummm... not sure about that... but if you say so!

Thank you all so much for the book suggestions... Muppetpinchess, I have heard of the Betsy-Tacy books because they're part of the homeschool curriculum we use (a higher grade than we're at though)... but perhaps I need to do some pre-reading! :-) Annie.... I must say that book you suggested sounds fabulous! I went on Amazon to read the reviews and there seems to be a bit of controversy surrounding that book.... that makes it sound all that more interesting to me! LOL! I'll look for these books on my next trip to the library (which should be this week) provided I finish reading the Phantom Tollbooth in time (we're limited to only 5 books out at a time for the first 30 days of our new library card.... so the kids get two picks each and I get just one).

Okay... I'm done rambling.... I'm going to clean up the kitchen and then head to bed!

'nite!

ETA: Amy... oops...I forgot to answer you... I'm shooting with the Canon 20D.

1 comment:

  1. The stranger thing is always so scary! You did the right thing, even if he meant no harm.

    Thanks for answering my camera question - you always take the best photos! I have a 35mm Canon EOS SLR, but I never use it. I really want a digital one that will use the lenses I already have!

    ReplyDelete