Wednesday, May 23, 2007

blogging in french

well.... not really but since our connection is here in Paris, blogger has decided that it needed to change to french for me. Hopefully all of the buttons are in the same place as they are in the english version so I'll be okay.

We had a very uneventful trip here.... except for the brief "life flashing before my eyes" moment as we came into Paris. We were making our descent into Paris and I was happily listening to my iPod... I figured that we should be close to landing but I hadn't heard the announcement to turn off electronic devices. I decided that it was close enough... I would turn off my iPod and connect to the in flight show (an old episode of Wings). About that time the plane bumped an unusual sounding bump and the whole plane shuttered! At this moment I nearly screamed as I was sure that an engine had just fallen off and we were plummeting to the ground... to leave my children as orphans just because Jeff and I wanted to go to Paris for our anniversary. I look to Jeff and he's looking at me like I've lost my mind... I couldn't believe he was taking our impending deaths so calmly. But then, beyond him, I saw buildings and trees out the window and they were level with us... we had landed... that was the bump and shutter.... not vital plane parts falling off. Whew... at least it woke me up!

By the time we got to our hotel, I the lack of sleep was setting in so I took a three hour nap, took a shower and then was ready for a walk. We walked down to the Palais de Chaillot to take a look at the Eiffel Tower. Just amazing! I took pictures and then more pictures (and then a couple more). We walked under the tower (didn't go up yet... I was too out of it still to deal with heights quite yet). We walked down the Champ de Mars, stopping along the way to have a fabulous Nutella and banana crepe. I took more pictures. We decided to walk down to Napoleon's Tomb (even though it was closing time) just because we were close. I took more pictures. We walked back to the Champ de Mars toward the Eiffel Tower and our hotel (and, yes, took a couple more pictures). After dropping off some stuff at the hotel we went out to a cafe for a light dinner... tomato and mozzarella salad for me, melon and serano for Jeff... then creme brule and strawberry tart for dessert. We ate with a perfect view of the Eiffel Tower. Now, I'm exhausted so I'm hoping I can sleep well tonight so I'm on track for tomorrow.

Sorry if I bore you with details but I'm trying to use my blog as my travel diary while we're here so I can remember what we did! LOL! Oh... cool stuff... before we left we downloaded audio walking tour podcasts from iTunes. We did our first one today... we really enjoyed it. I can't wait to do the historic Paris walking tour podcast tomorrow. I'll post more details about them when I get home if anyone is interested.

'nite!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:59 PM

    boring not!!!! Oh I wish I was there with ya!!! I'd love to travel! One day! It will be interesting reading your posts while your there! I'll take notes on things to do if I ever get there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:24 PM

    wow wow wow! you lucky thing. I went to Paris... in 1988, help! nearly 20 years ago!

    Can't wait to see the photos. I want to see what le tour eiffel looks like with "le tilt"!

    ReplyDelete