Friday, May 25, 2007

slightly damp

... okay... I'm actually I'm soaking wet. Note to self: if while standing on the Arc de Triomphe you see dark clouds behind the Eiffel Tower that keep getting closer, instead of standing there watching the clouds roll in, taking picture hoping to catch a shot of the Eiffel tower with lightening in the background.. get the heck out of there and take cover!!! We started down before the storm got there but the by the time we got to the bottom, the storm was there. Full force winds gusting through the arc and driving rain. We took refuge along with a group of British school children (some of them weeping and seriously freaking out) under the arc but the storm was too much and we were getting soaked anyway. So, Jeff and I decided that we were already wet so why not go for it. We made a break for it and walked down the Champs Elysees... thinking that our hotel was close. Oh, yes, it was close, but only if you don't walk right past your street and end several blocks away. We did a u-turn and finally found our hotel. I was so worried about my camera... but my Crumpler bag kept everything nice and dry. We were both so worried about my camera that we completely forgot about our iPods in the backpack. Currently, neither of them will turn on. :-( I'm hoping things might change once they dry out.... let's hope.

My account of today's outing will be brief since I still need to get dried off so we can figure out dinner. Once we finally got our breakfast, we took a walk to Napoleon's tomb and the military museums there. We thought this would be a quick tour... however, we really enjoyed it and spent more time than expected. From here we walked to the Orsay Museum. Loved it! It was another art museum, but I honestly enjoyed it much more than the Louvre. We did the Rick Steves audio tour of the museum and it was fabulous. We also had lunch in their dining room. I'll have to fill you in on the details later.... along with pictures, but right now I'm hungry so we're going to figure out dinner!

Tomorrow we head home!

1 comment:

  1. ive been loving the recount of your day, not nearly as much as i will enjoy the photos i'm sure... keep snappin'!! Have a wonderful and safe evening... and dont forget to have the friends you guys are with take photos of the two of you in paris!!

    ReplyDelete