Saturday, August 12, 2006

Just for kicks... our curriculum this year

I've been meaning to do this anyway, but I got a comment about it and it was the kick in the pants I needed to get it done. This is our second year of homeschooling, Alex is in 1st grade and Clara is technically pre-k but has insisted on doing school this year too. So here goes...

Both Alex and Clara:

Sonlight Core K with advanced readers (for Alex) - with them being so close in age we decided to split the difference and go with the core that fell between the two of them. I think we made the right choice... such great read alouds and the kids have been totally loving the science program so far.

La Clase Divertida Level 1 for our Spanish. We haven't started this yet... we'll add it in next week. I can't wait to get started... it looks like a lot of fun.

Atelier for art. This was an impulse buy at the homeschool curriculum fair but it looks like exactly what I wanted. It combines art instruction with art appreciation AND big bonus here... its video based so I can learn with the kids! We'll be starting this next week as well.

Lollipop Logic and First Time Analogies for thinking skills. The kids are loving these... Alex is definitely taking them at a much quicker pace than Clara but they both really enjoy them.

A Reason for Handwriting - Alex is doing A and Clara is doing K. I'm not sure what to expect out of a handwriting program... it seems fine... although handwriting seems to be a struggle in our house.

Math-U-See - Totally in love with Math-U-See!!! I have no other program to compare it with, but it just really clicks for us. Alex is in Alpha, Clara is doing Primer.

Stories of the Great Composers for Music Appreciation. Haven't started this yet. We will probably alternate weeks with the art program.

Just Alex:
Explode the Code - We like these books for fun and reinforcement. Alex is currently on book 2 (almost finished) and I have a feeling I should have purchased the Ready, Set, Go for the Code series for Clara this year (still might).

A Reason for Spelling - We're on book 1 and started it mid-year last year. I really have liked it so far... the only minor complaint that I have is that it was written for a classroom type situation v. homeschool.

Learning Language Arts through Literature - Blue Book. Totally agonized over this decision, but I bought it at the curriculum fair in the spring. We will start it next week.... so we'll see!

Just Clara:
Mountainwood Talking Letters - we're giving this a go for Clara. I needed something for Clara that would teach her some basics and entertain her while I worked with Alex. I tried starting her on the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Your Child to Read, like I did Alex, but she just has a totally different learning style... plus she's too young to be pushed too much. She's currently doing school just for fun and to be in on what Alex and I are doing.... so I thought this looked like a good start for her. We just got it out for the first time on Friday and she seemed to enjoy it.

Well... I'm sure I'm probably forgetting something... but this is at least most of it! We're off to good start so far... we'll see what happens though when we add more subjects in this next week!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds awesome! Good luck with homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete