Sunday, September 10, 2006

looks like its time....

.... to come up with a logo... a copyright logo to put on my photos, that is. Ugh... just found out today that I had an image "stolen" off of betterphoto.com. An old photo from over 2 years ago, but nonetheless... it was mine. I really didn't want to do this... but I guess its time. I will probably just do a copyright symbol and my name, but if any one has any "fun" suggestions, they are definitely welcome. I really don't want to stop posting so this is what I'll have to do. I guess it will have an added bonus though besides the average joe internet photo stealer thing... I may also thwart family members from right click saving my photos. I know that doesn't sound like a bad thing, but can you believe that I had a family member who right click saved some photos of my kids off of 2peas, printed them at home, framed them and then gave them to my grandmother as a gift without my knowledge?!?!??! I had just gotten those same pictures printed through the lab that I use to give to my grandmother but while I was at her house to give her said pictures, she showed me the framed gift. I'm not sure, but the photos appeared to be printed on copy paper. Okay, that was snarky and beside the point... my real point is, was it out of line for that family member to do this? I mean, they were pics of my kids and I took those pics, shouldn't I have first chance at giving them away as gifts? I didn't say anything and probably never will... my grandmother was thrilled to have them regardless of who gave them to her and the quality of the photos and I guess in the end that's what matters the most.... sigh.

Okay... I guess there won't be any photo posts for a day or so while I sort out the copyright thing. I know it's not that difficult, I'm just cranky about the whole thing and dragging my feet.

Hopefully I'll snap out of it tomorrow!

'nite!

4 comments:

  1. tracy, I know you don't know me from adam, and that's okay.

    About the family member right click thing. I understand. I blocked the right click thing on mine after my best friend downloaded and printed very poor quality jpegs from my blog and then framed them in her home. I was like, "Why didn't you just ASK for them? I would have given them to you." Yes. You should feel slightly violated. Your photography is your art and you should be in charge of how that art is presented, and in what medium. I give copies of my family photos to my mom to keep at her house on CDs just in case my house burns down or something, and after throwing a large hissy fit because she was printing photos that hadn't edited or sharpened or anything, she now understands that all she has to do is ask, and I'll happily edit them until I'm satisfied with them for print. Anyone who isn't a photographer, hobby or otherwise, doesn't really grasp the heart that you put into each of your photos and how each one is a small part of you. It's tough. I had to explain that to me it felt like if I had been Van Gogh or Picasso or Monet, and they had taken my art to Kinko's and photo copied it onto newspaper print and then hung it on the wall with my name all over it as my original work. They still don't really understand, but they do get that it's important to ME, and they respect that.

    Long answer to say, I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:10 AM

    Tracie, it's sad...
    I know how you feel aboiut your familiy and I understand...
    I sent some pictures around to my friends with whom we spend a w/e every June. One day i walked in the house of one couple and saw one of my picture (HUGE) on their kitchen wall. A very good picture but badly blown up and not printed by a professional. As Wendy said I felt violated. Totally...They were so proud of what they did..Candidly proud, had no idea of copyrights or anything of that matter.
    All my images have my stamp across and I only send websized version now. This was a yea ago and I sent the full size file...
    It is sad that we have to do this but so it is...
    And again CONGRATS on that runner up place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch tracie that sucks... There's been alot of this happening lately it seems.. Sorry to hear it happened to you..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:05 PM

    so sorry to hear an image of yours was stolen. and, YES, that was toally wrong for that relative to download the 2Peas shot and - worse yet - give it as a gift! good grief...what are people thinking??

    my SIL is classic for printing out emailed photos and also for including them into *her* misc. slideshows without a thought of quality, much less ownership! crazy, i tell ya...

    ReplyDelete